Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Bronson Arroyo Is Hot All Over Again

Image hosting by Photobucket

Nice outing by Bronson this afternoon... eight shutout innings against the Cubs; he's 4-0 in September with a 1.13 ERA. Not the best time to get hot all over again, but I'll take it.

Arroyo Makes The Mark of the 'Z', and the Enquirer makes up funny headlines

And, you know, I've been meaning to write about this, but I keep putting it off...

I attended Arroyo's concert at The Carnegie last week.

You know that saying, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?


Yeah.

Of course I'm loathe to pick on the guy; he's been my favorite Red this season, and besides, Michael Stipe can't throw a curve for shit, right, Covington?

Although it definitely wasn't my bag, a few of the people there seemed to enjoy themselves. A lot. One even taunted the audience, shouting, "Cincinnati is sooooo boring!" I suppose that's one way to look at it, although that particular fan didn't sound like she was from Boston. I bought a CD anyway, and I still feel kind of dirty about it... hopefully Everybody's Records got a healthy cut.

Fortunately, my lingering memories of the evening involve a rediscovered appreciation for the 859. Big shout-out goes to the staff at the Down Under, for being uncommonly kind, and allowing me to rudely eat the potato chips you had prepared for yourself. I was pretty hungry, and the many Harps I consumed at the show had already taken their toll. The first casualty of beer is etiquette, clearly. Instead of scolding me, you invited me to dip your chips in honey-mustard dressing. I'll be back.

These are the things that happen to me when I get a new baseball crush; next summer, I think I'd be wise to just go to the ballpark and avoid the side careers of my favorite players. In that respect, I guess I'm happy the season's winding down.

Thanks, Reds Fans! See you next time...

I can see you
Your brown skin shinin' in the sun
You got that hair slicked back and those Wayfarers on, baby
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone

- Don Henley, "Boys of Summer"


Technorati Tags: