Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Finally, A World Cup Shot!

Image hosting by Photobucket
AFP Photo - Jörg Koch


This is sweet...


Caption: Manuel Götzendörfer takes a sip of his so-called "Germany-Cocktail" 01 June 2006 in Munich. Together with two other students of Munich's Technical University, he developed the drink in the national colors of Germany for the FIFA Football World Cup to take place in Germany from 09 June to 09 July 2006. The cocktail mainly consists of black vodka, blood orange juice mixed with grenadine (red) and orange juice (gold).


Yay!! As soon as I saw the photo, I knew I had to make it. It was gorgeous, sounded like a great pousse cafe to me, and I was thrilled to find a workable drink after searching endlessly for World Cup Cocktail ideas. I love layering shots, and this drink seemed easy, and potable, and gave me just enough clues to try to recreate it. I read it this way:

Germany-Cocktail

In a pony glass, layer one-third of each ingredient, in order, pouring slowly:

Blood orange juice (mix with regular orange juice if too red)
Grenadine
Black vodka


I went to the grocery to pick up a few blood oranges, just so I could test it tonight. I squeezed the two blood oranges using a juicer, yielding about a highball-glass full of juice, enough for six shots. The blood orange juice came out more golden than expected, so I didn't mix it with ordinary OJ. I decided orange juice was the densest (when in a quandary, consult this amazing density chart from Drink Nation, a boon for amateur and pro bartenders alike), so I poured it into a narrow, stemless pony glass (just like the one in the photo), filling one-third of the glass. Next, I slowly layered grenadine. It floated easily on top of the OJ; I didn't use a bar spoon, I just poured it slowly down the side of the pony glass. Grenadine is so damned thick that practically anything will float on top, so I poured Blavod black vodka, since it's an ingredient we actually carry, using a bar spoon and pouring slowly. It looked perfect, and was surprisingly easy to make. I didn't think it would work out the first time, but it did... and it was sehr lecker!

What should it be called? The gimmick is that it uses the host nation colors, but "Germany-Cocktail" isn't doing it for me. Even the caption refers to it as "so-called." I'm open to thoughts. This drink deserves a proper christening.

Congratulations to Germany on their victory in the most exciting match so far. To the World, and The World Cup! And an extra special-toast to Manuel Götzendörfer, inventor of the poorly-named, beautiful and köstlich "Germany-Cocktail."

Cheers!


It's fine with me, of course, but has anyone notice that U2 seems to be the official band of the World Cup? It's very subtle, but listen closely, and you might just catch them. Heh! You might see that Adidas +10 commercial a few times, as well.

Neon heart, dayglo eyes
A city lit by fireflies
They're advertising in the skies
For people like us
And I miss you when you're not around
I'm getting ready to leave the ground....
Ooh ooh ooh, Ooh ooh ooh
Oh you look so beautiful tonight

U2, "City of Blinding Lights"

Technorati Tags: , ,