Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Creamy Orange Martini for a Warm Spring Evening

I hadn't made one of these in awhile, but tonight, when a customer challenged me to mix him an after-dinner cocktail, something orange-flavored and decadent, it came right back to me.

(A good bartender loves a challenge. Tell us what you want; it'll hopefully be just what you craved, and if it isn't, you get a free buzz, because we'd never dream of making you pay for something we made up that sucked. Most of us have really huge egos when it comes to showing off our mixing skills and coming up with potables-on-the-fly.)

I made him one of my own concotions, which I call "Martini Arancione." Arancione is the Italian word for orange. Or balls. It really could mean balls, for all I know. Sometimes the kitchen plays tricks on me when I ask them to translate, so I can never be too sure.


Martini Arancione

Begin with a level bar scoop of ice in a pint glass. Combine:

1/2 oz Grey Goose L'Orange Vodka
1/4 oz Kahlua

1/4 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz Light Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz Baileys


Shake very well... Baileys is a tricky mixer, since it has a tendency to curdle, especially when it meets Cointreau. If not well-shaken, the drink could end up lumpy. That wouldn't be delicious, would it?

Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a fresh orange wheel.


In closing, I'm sad to report that my latest baseball crush, Bronson Arroyo, suffered his first loss of the season. He didn't get rocked too hard against Arizona, allowing only three runs and eleven hits (career-worst), so lay off. I'm still in love. Plus, he's on my fantasy team; you should see the rest of my pitching staff. It hurts.

Don't you just love spring?

Did you see Jackie Robinson hit that ball?
It went zoomin' cross the left field wall
Yeah boy, yes, yes, Jackie hit that ball
And when he swung his bat, the crowd went wild
'Cause he knocked that ball a solid mile
Yeah boy, yes, yes, Jackie hit that ball

Buddy Johnson, "Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball"

A sampling of previous Tavern Wench Recipes: Tokyo Iced Tea - The Boxer Martini - Espresso Drinks - The Scarlet and Grey - Sour Patch Martini - The Ten-Minute Gimlet - The Italian Mojito