Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tokyo Iced Tea

The Long Island Iced Tea, is, in my professional opinion, the greatest cocktail ever invented, but it must be expertly prepared, and with love, as if the bartender were planning to drink it herself. Otherwise, it just tastes too strong, and makes you vomit. If more bartenders drank Long Islands, they'd make better ones as a whole.

I think the secret is the re-ice after the liquor has melted, add a splash of sour, and then shake it like a Polaroid picture. I'm amazed at how few bartenders shake their sour-based cocktails these days. For shame! Don't fear the tin! Add the Coke after the shake (don't shake out the fizz), and stir with the straw until it looks like an iced tea. Stick a lemon on it. Voila. Delicious. And effective. They'll order another in 15 minutes and give you a generous gratuity, if you did it right.

Another Long Island tip... talk your customers out of the top-shelf variety. Nobody can taste the fucking Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire once that sour and coke is thrown in. Please. If you insist on throwing away your money to impress your date or clients, I'll make the best damned Top Shelf Long Island Money Waster you ever had, and charge you $10 a pop, without regret, of course. But think about it, when it's just you and the guys watching a game, ok? El Prima Tequila works as well as Jose Cuervo, and might even work harder, given its unfortunate name. I'm the bartender and I've listened to your stupid problems for months. I'm just trying to save you a buck in hopes that you'll give it to me. I need your money more than Bacardi does, trust me.

I put much, much love in my Long Islands, and I'm always impressed by the savvy bar customer who orders one. It's not the latest trendy martini, it's a real damned drink, and a delight to make.

Check out this Tokyo Iced Tea recipe... I found it during a google for Long Island varieties, but I tested and tweaked it tonight, so this is my version. Quick scoop for the pros... an LIIT, dump the tequila, replace it with Midori, top with 7 and a lime, basically.

Tokyo Iced Tea

Build on ice, in a pint glass:

1/2 ounce vodka
1/2 ounce gin
1/2 ounce light rum
1/2 ounce triple sec
1/2 ounce Midori /Melon Liqueur

Re-ice after liquor melt

Splash of sour/bar lemon

Generous shake with bar tin

Top with 7-Up

Lime Wedge Garnish

A refreshing, delightful, fun, green, Japanese twist on the summer classic. Cheers!

Buckeyes, it's Election Day... if you live in OH-2, get out the vote for Paul Hackett, officially endorsed by Tavern Wench, something you won't read in the papers. Support the troops... send one to Congress!

Day is gone, I'm on my back
Staring up at the ceiling
I take a drink, sit back, relax
Smoke my mind, makes me feel better for a short time
What I want is what I've not got
What I need is all around me

- Dave Matthews Band, "Jimi Thing"