Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Awful Waffle

The Cincinnati Enquirer has a disturbing article today about a group of African Americans who are alleging discrimation at the Kingsgate Waffle House:


Reading the story upset me, and although we certainly don't have all the facts yet, I'm going to follow this story closely. As someone who has worked many a late-night bar shift, hungry at 4:00 AM, I can tell you with some authority that Waffle House pretty much sucks. I always felt horrible for the one or two servers they'd have on the graveyard shift, because I figured the job must be truly awful and low-paying for the servers to have such completely shitty attitudes. I'm not even sure that at that time of night, it's possible to get good service at a Waffle House; I and my coworkers always had slightly better luck at Perkins, and of course, thank goodness IHOP is back in town...

However, there is a big difference between receiving the consistently terrible service I grew accustomed to, and what this group says happened to them.

If you're the kind of person who reads an article like this and immediately thinks that what the group is alleging just isn't possible in this city, in this day, I urge you to wade through the comment section. I think I made to the fourth page before I couldn't take it anymore.

Can't you see that it's just raining
Ain't no need to go outside
But, baby
You hardly even notice
When I try to show you this
Song is meant to keep ya
From doing what your supposed to
Like waking up too early
Maybe we can sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes
Pretend like it's the weekend now

- Jack Johnson, "Banana Pancakes"

Technorati Tags: , , ,