Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

That's It - Vernon Manor Shuts Doors

Photobucket
Photo - Cincinnati Enquirer

For some reason, I was just hoping it wouldn't come to pass, but, of course it has. The beloved Vernon Manor has closed. A very good, and poignant, and frankly depressing piece in the Enquirer:

The Vernon Manor served its last meal Tuesday morning - and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. So ended 85 years of the landmark hotel, which hosted presidents, Beatles, hall of famers and scenes from "Rain Man."
And so it goes. Good luck out there to you, the great and unforgettable staff of The Vernon Manor. I hope many pictures in the final days were taken, because everything is changing, and we need to be sure that we don't forget...

Closing time, time for you to go out, go out into the world
Closing time, turn the lights up over every boy and every girl
Closing time, one last call for alcohol, so finish your whiskey or beer
Closing time, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here

I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home
Take me home


- Semisonic, "Closing Time"

Technorati Tags: , , ,