Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ohio For Obama

There was this moment tonight, you know?  Right around 9:25 eastern, when the networks called my beloved Buckeye State for Obama and my stress and anxiety just lifted.  Greatest moment of my political life, really.  Can't compare it to anything but that buoyant, exhuberant feeling we all felt on New Year's Eve, 1999.  World Celebrates Joyously.  I'm not from the 60's and maybe I don't get it in that way, but I know that it feels like The Next Chapter in American History, and I am thrilled.

C'mon... you all know that was the moment he won.  OH!  IO!!! And then, that golden moment, 11:00 eastern, when they started calling Obama President-Elect.

What a night.  Will any of us ever forget November 4th, 2008?

A hearty toast to the Obama Campaign.  Obama showed up in Ohio.  He came here many times, sent Vice-President Elect Joe Biden many times, opened dozens of field offices, and sent the hardest-working and coolest campaign staffers in the world to our state.  As much as Ohioans want to take credit for this victory, it all goes to the Obama Crew.  It was so wonderful to get to know each of you through these months, and I hope of course that you all go off to fabulous jobs and get everything you ever wanted.  But first and foremost, thanks for showing Ohioans the power of community organizing.  I am so proud to have volunteered and worked for this campaign. We have all learned so much from the Obama people in town, and we will miss you, and we thank you.

Yes, We Did!  And we will continue behind our new President-Elect.  Barack Obama.  If you'd have told me that, back in the wrist-slashing days of November 2004, that in four years we'd elect our first African-American president in a landslide, I'd have thought you were well deep into your meth and Daily Kos addiction.

Can you believe it?   Pinch me, Ohio!!

P.S. Like most Cincinnatians, I am rather shitty-hammered right now.  :-)

And I miss you when you're not around
I'm getting ready to leave the ground

Oh you look so beautiful tonight
In the city of blinding lights

Time...time...time...time...time
Won't leave me as I am
But time won't take the boy out of this man

Oh you look so beautiful tonight
Oh you look so beautiful tonight
Oh you look so beautiful tonight
In the city of blinding lights


- U2, "City of Blinding Lights"

Technorati Tags: