Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Thursday, June 12, 2008

There Goes The King, There Goes The Big Number One


Maybe it's the bartender in me, or maybe it's just the beer enthusiast talking. But there's something about the proposed purchase of Anheuser-Busch by InBev that just really, really bugs me.


There's something so uniquely American about Budweiser that I can't imagine it being foreign-owned. The CEO promises no U.S. breweries would be closed, but color me skeptical; I just have this awful feeling that somehow this is going to shake down as a bad deal for workers. I certainly hope I'm wrong this time. And I might have to break my long streak and actually tune into CNN to find out what Lou Dobbs is saying.

On a lighter note, while looking for the lyrics to the Budweiser Jingle, one of my all-time favorites, I learned that Sonny & Cher recorded a song called "When You Say Love" written to the tune of the beloved jingle. It reached #32 on Billboard in 1972. You really do learn something every day... and I'd love to buy a Bud for anyone who can honestly tell me they actually remember the Sonny & Cher version!

Here comes the King, here comes the Big Number One
Budweiser beer is beer that's second to none
The King is calling, so loud and clear
There's only one Budweiser beer
When you say Bud you've said it all
When you say Bud you've said it all!