Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Good Gawd, People Are Getting Cheap.

So, I've been away from the Tavern-wenching for a little while, and it's been more than fun to jump back into the world of mixing tins and sticky floors. I've not really been away from "the business," I've just been exploring another aspect of it. But I missed the front lines, and found a way to work it back in without sacrificing my career path, and I'm just thrilled to be mixing it up once again. Ha ha! I said 'career.' Ha ha ha!!

A few things have changed in the last year, most notably, people have become damned cheap. Gas prices have, like, doubled since the last time I did this kind of work, so it's understandable.

But here's a suggestion that's relevant no matter the time or economic situation: Tipping One Whole Dollar on a $30.00 tab doesn't represent the fact that times are tough out there. It only means you're a cheap-ass who should really consider buying a twelve-pack and spending the night watching American Idol on the Tivo. You can ignore your family in the privacy of your own home, you certainly don't need my help.

I even offered sparkling conversation and talked about Ken Griffey Jr. and avoided politics and everything. That ought to be worth at least another buck, right?

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, how are you, good luck, but you don't mean it
When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just come out once and scream it
Now don't I feel that good

When I see the heartaches you embrace
If I were a master thief perhaps I'd rob them
And though I know you're dissatisfied

With your position and your place
Don't you understand, it's not my problem

- Bob Dylan, "Positively 4th Street"

Technorati Tags: , ,