Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Saturday, December 08, 2007

TV Land

Image hosting by Photobucket
What Claddagh would look like, if it had a vibe

Photo Credit: makulitmakulit

"Three's Company" is on. Opening scene is at the Regal Beagle, where Larry is cozying up to a lovely woman sitting at a badass old-school rounded banquette. "Spend the weekend with me," he begs her. They don't know each other much. She squirms a little before saying, "But I'm an actress! I have to stay home by my phone in case I get a call."

It's difficult to remember what it was like having to wait by your phone instead of being able to carry it with you, isn't it? In any age, though, I'd bet sitting alone in an apartment, willing a corded Princess phone to ring, was preferable to spending a few nights in a sweetheart cabin with the likes of Larry. In that sense, we should all mourn the death of the Polite Landline Excuse.

You know, I always thought Jim the Regal Beagle Bartender had weak skills. Sure, he looks fierce standing in front of that quilted mauve back-bar panel, but I don't see him mixing up anything fabulous. Still, he's showing the world how it's done when it comes to wiping an ashtray, so I should really lay off.


Sigh. TV Land makes me feel older...

Coolest TV Bar Skills Ever Award goes to Isaac from the Love Boat, obviously. An attractive couple would perch at his Tiki Bar and order Mai Tai's, Isaac would reach under his bar and, **poof!**, present two perfect tropical cocktails, garnished with fruit, umbrellas and flowers. How the hell did he do that?!??

Love Boat Isaac is my Forever Magic Bartender Superhero.


Baby let's cruise, on from here
Don't be confused baby, the way is clear
And if you want it you got it forever
Just for a one night stand in bed
Let the music take your mind
And, just release and you would find
We gonna fly away, plan to go my way
I love it when we're cruising together
Music was made for love, cruising is made for love
I love it when we're cruising together

- Smokey Robinson, "Cruising Together"

Technorati Tags: , ,