Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Greetings, Halloween Tavern Wench Costume Seekers!!

Image hosting by Photobucket
If I wanted to make money on a Saturday night,

this is the last thing I'd wear.

This time of year, I get a ridiculous amount of Google and Yahoo! hits that reach a fever pitch right about now, and begin to fade off come November 1st. I can only assume they hit this blog while searching for "Tavern Wench" costumes for Halloween, aka "You Have Permission To Dress Like A Whore" day. Well, however you got here, welcome!! And thanks for stopping by while costume-shopping, and special kudos for wanting to be an old-school Tavern Wench, if only for a day.

Maybe I should enter the seasonal costume market? God, I could make a fortune... note to self for next October.

Halloween is really one of my favorite times of year, and a great time to get paid if you're working behind a bar. It's festive, it's chilly, the bands are great, everyone is dressed like a whore, and feeling super-generous. It's the perfect tip storm!! And honestly, you could do worse, in that slutty way, than a Tavern Wench costume. They're kind of cute, really...

When I first thought of the blog and the Tavern Wench theme, I was inspired by one of my outrageous former coworkers, who back in the day would wear this Tavern Wench get-up several times a year, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Monday Night Football, Easter, what have you, performing a trick where her boobs would accidentally-on-purpose pop out every time she leaned over. I'd just serve drinks and ring the bell every time the fellas threw the ducats at her. But I learned a thing or two from that delighful, fun-loving girl... like how to make a proper Washington Apple, for one (her fantastic recipe forthcoming in a future post, promise). And how to have a great time behind the bar, for another.

Thank God we were sharing tips. A toast to you, Shelly!! Cheers, my dear old friend!

So what are you going to be for Halloween? I'm flirting with the idea of Amy Winehouse... beehive wig, crazy eye makeup, fake tattoos, cigs and whiskey galore... my only fear is people might say, "Hey, why didn't you wear a costume?"

Happy Halloween, everyone! Go out, drink, make mirth, give treats, not trickery, dress scandalously, and tip generously!

Well, its a marvelous night for a moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heartstrings that play soft and low

- Van Morrison, "Moondance"


Technorati Tags: , , , ,