Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Friday, November 24, 2006

Joyful and Triumphant

I'm not sure what it is about the holidays that gets me down so much. While everyone else seems to flit around, joyfully shopping, planning parties and mirth, I just sulk and pray for New Year's Eve to come quickly.

It's probably because I'm in an industry where we actually have to work on the holidays, and help support the entire season of holiday merriment. We're part of your merry-making; in fact, we manufacture your merry. I'm not bitching... actually, I am bitching, and I'm jealous. I'm certain people that aren't in the bar/restaurant/entertainment industry get a bigger kick out of the holidays than we do. And I can't even begin to feel the pain of my brethren in the retail business; just thinking about them getting up at 4:30 am to greet the rush of holiday shoppers the day after Thanksgiving fills my heart with sorrow. Best of luck to you all... hopefully nobody gets shot.

This time of year always makes me think of the night before Thanksgiving when a thoroughly wasted woman threw her drink at me when I refused to serve her again. Isn't that funny... she had at least three more sips in that glass before she chose to discard it onto my face. Merry Christmas!!!

Happy Holidays. Be mindful of each other, and gentle. And tip well, even when we're cranky. 'Tis the spirit of the season, and we appreciate it now more than ever.

I'm seeking girls in sales and marketing
Let's go make out up in the balcony
Your business dress, so businesslike and I'm
Tossing the blouse over a chairback and
I can hear the bells are ringing joyful and triumphant and I can
Hear the bells are ringing joyful and triumphant
You snooze, you lose
Well, I have snost and lost
I'm pushing through, I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells, so fascinating and
I'll slug it out, I'm sick of waiting

- Mike Doughty, "I Hear The Bells"

Technorati Tags: