Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Well, That Was An Interesting Week

When last I wrote, I was high and giddy on pre-World Cup Final fever. So were billions of other people. June was a fantastic month, and the world felt united, and it was an amazing feeling, one that was reminiscent of the vibe of New Year's Eve 1999-2000. To be honest, I think that's why a record number of Americans got turned on to football/soccer. We wanted to feel good, too. We didn't even have a horse in the race when it got down to it, but people watched it, and talked about it. A lot. I really can't remember that ever happening in our country before, because countries typically reject sports they're not good at. Still, for a minute, I think we might have embraced soccer and had a little fun celebrating along with the rest of the world. Even though Forza Azzurri are the champions, Zidane's infamous headbutt made him a household name in one of the only countries that had never heard of him before, and it became the most important story in the world for days...

Since then, there have been horrific train bombings in India, the North Koreans stormed out of diplomacy talks, Iran said "eh" to the UN, oil barrels hit record highs and Israel and Lebanon thought it might be a good time to scrap again. I'm probably forgetting a few other "bad news" items.

All in one week. Six days ago, I was on top of the world. This week, I want to crawl into a bottle of gin and watch Hugh Grant movies.

Here's hoping it all gets better, and saner, quickly. Cheers... might be a good time to go visit a bar and hang out with your mates. You could use the fun, and we could use the business, believe me.