Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Guest Book

It's called a "Guest Book", and, to prove it, it has the words "Guest Book" emblazoned in fake gold across the leatherette binder, even though it's just window dressing to a "Say Something Nice or Complain Here in Writing" Book.

Nobody ever writes about the bartender in the "Guest Book." It's reserved for musings of the "Loved your food, so authentic, great service!" nature. The owners read the Guest Book like its Hemingway, but I stopped looking at it a long time ago, save for the entries about the random, cool server who received well-deserved recognition, or the ridiculously vulgar entries obviously left by servers' friends, intended to embarrass.
Thanks, especially, for those! They were worth a good laugh before management disappeared them.

Tonight, finally, a random entrant threw a little love to the bar, and he wasn't even a relative. Something about "The food is great, but we really come here for the drinks, lovingly made, nice pours, fantastic bartenders do more than compliment the experience." I say something, but I know what he wrote because I memorized it by heart.

To the anonymous Guest Book Scribe, I'd just like to offer, well, Thank You, you made my evening. A good night, great money, fun people, but sometimes it's just nice to see it in writing. I really never thought I'd get sucked into the feedback, but, hell, who doesn't like to hear how much someone enjoyed their work?

I apologize for the indulgent post, but I still have a favor to ask of diners... consider writing in the Guest Book on your way out of a restaurant when your experience sucked and you just want to leave, and especially if you've had a really, really good time and you want to make someone feel great for an hour or two.

But don't forget to tip, either.

On Edit: It's April 1st, and I thought about a prank, but the only good ones I have are the practical, in-person kind. Instead, I offer this... I'm going to a wedding today. Who gets married on April Fools Day? Is that a good idea?

I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
My head just feels in pain
I missed the bus and there'll be hell today
I'm late for work again
And even if I'm there, they'll all imply that I might not last the day
And then you call me and it's not so bad
It's not so bad and...

Dido, "Thank You"