Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Blue Monday

One of our servers called off sick tonight (smart girl), and another one didn't bother to show up at all (likely fired).

I'm calling it the Post-Easter Rebellion. We were outrageously busy and short-staffed tonight, so bad that I actually had to go out and wait tables. Now, I can't tell you how much I abhor serving. There's nothing wrong with it, and I admire those who do it, but I suck at it. Too much ass-kissing, and way too much work. Plus, I have a feeling the customer can tell that that girl behind the bar is now out at their table, no apron, taking their order. Just feels tacky. I filled out a fake comment card about it.

But, on a weird, short-staffed night like tonight, I've got to do it all. Take your order, make your drinks. Make everyone else's drinks. Serve bar customers. Look out-of-place while waiting tables. It just kind of bugs me. Still... serving is hard. I don't know how you sweeties do it.

I'm already a good tipper, but after getting slammed with unexpected tables tonight, I swear I'll give more next time. It's been a long time since I've had my ass kicked that hard.

Kudos to those of you who are great servers. I like to think I'm the kind of person who can do anything. Clearly, I cannot.

In addition to the busy night on the floor, I entertained a relatively full bar. Nice fellas from Seattle, liked their martinis top shelf, dirty and up. My kinda guys, chatty, fun and flirtatious. They helped my Monday feel not so blue, and make me realize that I'm the kind of girl who belongs behind the bar.

How does it feel to treat me like you do
When you've your hands upon me
And told me who you are
I thought I was mistaken
I thought I heard your words
Tell me, how do I feel
Tell me now, how do I feel

New Order, "Blue Monday"