Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tins of Frustration

So, I have this coworker who drives me crazy, always getting the pint glass stuck in the mixing tin, and always at the worst possible time on a Saturday night.

He pounds and pounds that stupid tin, then uses all his force to try to twist and pry the glass out.

I always stand there with my hand out, saying "Give it to me," but being a stubborn, proud newbie bartender (and a male) he refuses. It always ends the same way... he takes the glass and tin to to the kitchen, smashes the glass against the dish tank, throws the shards in the trash and we're back in business. Of course, we lost a pint glass and we have to make a new drink, but that just doesn't seem to bother him.

Now, having tended bar for far longer than I'm ever going to admit, I can unstick a glass from a tin in fifteen seconds or less. It's a relatively simple maneuver; you just tip the glass to one side, and pound the other side of the tin gently on the bar wood. Works every time.

Why is it that new bartenders let it go to their head, and quickly? It's really not that cool or glamorous a job, you know. More importantly, what is it about men that they won't ever let you show them how to do, well, anything?

You don't have to prove your manhood to me constantly
I know you're the man, can't you see
I love you righteously
Why you wanna dis me after the way you been kissin' me
After those pretty things you say
And the love we made today

Lucinda Williams, "Righteously"