Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Frank Infante, et al v. Blondie

I don't know about y'all, but I found the little Blondie outburst at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions to be nothing short of delightful.

A little shit-talking, a little bitchiness, and a lackluster performance by a pasted-together, aging band that doesn't sound good; now that's punk rock. At least they had the balls to show up, warts and all, unlike the Sex Pistols (I'll admit to enjoying the part in their bitchy letter where they rip off Jon Stewart. They're just getting lazy).

I'll always adore Blondie, and the era, and besides, it was the most interesting thing to happen at that event in years.

It's a shame, really. I've searched all over but still haven't figured out what the band rift is about... did someone try to tour and call themselves Blondie, without, well, Deborah Harry, or something?

I thought Chris Stein died years ago. I was pleased to see he had not.

Now, this I find interesting... The Cars reunited (sans the late Ben Orr, of course) to tour with the new Blondie (sans Frank Infante, et al).

That music still has a little bit of a grip, in a deep, neglected part of my rock-n-roll heart, so I know I'm going to wince if the whole thing turns into "Puppet Show and Blondie and The Cars and Todd Rundgren."

When I met you in the restaurant
You could tell I was no debutante
You asked me what's my pleasure
A movie or a measure?
I'll have a cup of tea and tell you of my dreaming
Dreaming is free

Blondie, "Dreaming"