Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Friday, January 13, 2006

How do you know when you're too old for the business?

Is there a general guideline? Is there a point where your GM has to ask you to hang up your apron? Forever?

Our most experienced and excellent server has begun complaining about his knees, and the stairs, and being seated with children. He's the best there ever was. If I found myself in any restaurant in the world, and saw his face, I'd request him as my server.

I can't imagine the restaurant without him. But for the first time in five years, I've begun worrying about him...

When I was twenty-one, it was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls who lived up the stairs
With perfume hair, that came undone
When I was twenty-one

Then I was thirty-five, it was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls of independent means
We'd ride in limousines, their chauffeurs would drive

When I was thirty-five

- Ervin M. Drake, Covered by many, most notably Frank Sinatra, "It Was A Very Good Year" (Don't you find this song tragically sexy, in a way? It kind of loses the point if you really think about it.)