Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Resolutions

One thing that has always annoyed me about the year's end is the crescendo of retrospectives and lists. They're kind of fun when they first pop up, say, around the first weekend in December. CNN usually kicks it off.

After that, it just gets frenetic. Now that Christmas is dunzo, every channel on cable TV has a retrospective show. Even VH1, aka "The List Channel", has gone end-of-year mad, and I didn't think they could possibly squeeze in one more list. And, sadly, every blog under the sun has a year-end round-up of some sort. Enough, already. I'm not going to make one.

Except that my favorite albums of the year were

"How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" U2
"Stand Up" Dave Matthews Band
(U2 and Dave Matthews Band tie for Best Tour of 2005)
"Fijacion Oral Vol. 1" Shakira
"In Between Dreams" Jack Johnson
"Extraordinary Machine" Fiona Apple
"Plans" Death Cab For Cutie

Here's a useful list, though... my personal New Year's Eve bubbly wish list. I'll choose one eventually, but they're all excellent, if you're still shopping. In my opinion, you really don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get a divine bottle of bubbles.

J 1999 Brut, Sonoma County, California (yum)
Bollinger 1997 Grande Annee Brut Champagne, France
Louis Roederer 1999 Cristal Brut, France
Moët et Chandon NV White Star, France (yum-yum)

And, finally, my dear readers, thanks for giving this blog a chance, and reading my silly little bar stories in 2005, the first official year of Tavern Wench. I can't thank you enough for your patience, encouragement, emails and comment entries. Writing this blog has been the highlight of my year, and I have all of you to thank for that.

I imagine most of us are happy to kick 2005 out the door. It wasn't the happiest of years. That's the best thing, though... years do end. Here's to a Happy and Prosperous 2006. May it be filled with abounding love, laughter, hope, and maybe just a little peace. Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

And so we're told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage
Though I want to be with you, be with you night and day
Nothing changes on New Year's Day

- U2, "New Year's Day"