Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Monday, September 05, 2005

A Whore Named Katrina

It's understandable why I haven't been too focused on bar follies during this awful week.

I'll admit to being emotionally destroyed by the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. And that bitch has certainly affected the bar business... not too many of us are interested in celebrating while we watch our brothers and sisters suffer so.

Like many Americans, I can focus on little else. It's been a rough decade so far for my nation, but, in my lifetime, it's the darkest week we have experienced. That's saying quite a lot, considering the sad anniversary coming up next Sunday. It's tragic. The response to those in dire need? Horrific, inexplicable and, honestly, embarrassing.

While our federal government continues to twiddle its thumbs, make excuses and lamely place blame on local officials, Americans will do what they always have... cough at the government and take matters into our own hands.

At the risk of sounding trite, I'll offer this... if you haven't already, please give generously to these good and reputable charities:

Network For Good - A plethora of worthy charity organizations

American Red Cross

American Kidney Fund - helping dialysis patients survive Hurricane Katrina

Noah's Wish - Rescuing and sheltering the animals affected by Hurricane Katrina (these people are very near and dear to TavernWench's heart)

Humane Society of Louisiana - they've issued an S.O.S., and their stories are as heartbreaking as any animal rescue news you've heard. Please give whatever you can.

I'm fortunate to have a few international readers, and from the bottom of my heart, I especially thank you for your kind words and support during this difficult time.

All Americans are suffering... but especially those in Louisiana and Mississippi.

I can't stop worrying about them. I can't turn the television off, even though the pictures and stories grow more terrifying by the hour.

May New Orleans rebuild. May New Orleans, the celebratory capital of America, party again. I have faith she will.

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss it, each night and day
I know I'm not wrong, the feelings getting stronger, the longer I stay away
Miss the moss covered vines, the tall sugar pines

Where mocking birds used to sing
And I'd like to see the lazy Mississippi, a hurryin' into spring
The moonlight on the bayou, a Creole tune that fills the air

I dream about magnolias in June
And soon I'm wishing that I were there

- Louis Armstrong, "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans"