Of Bars, Booze, and Bartending - Proving "Coughlin's Law" Invalid Since Feb '05

Friday, March 11, 2005

Rick Santorum Is A Noxious Weed And Must Be Stopped

I have no intention of turning this into a political blog. I read too many of those sites already, and The Internets don't need another one.

However, The Waiter, of
Waiter Rant, brought the wait staff blogging world up to speed on a new law proposed by Sen. Rick Santorum that would essentially rid the business owners of America from abiding by pesky minimum wage laws. Please read his entry, Social Darwinist Dead Enders, to get the gist of the legislation.

Now, as a bartender, I'm paid $5.50 per hour, since I make less in tips than our servers do, who are paid $2.13 per hour. Ohio is a state which abides by the Federal Minimum Wage for tipped workers, so we don't get any more or any less. But those tiny little checks are honestly keeping us one step away from bankruptcy. My monthly checks are so tiny that they're practically an afterthought, but that's because my hourly wages go straight to pay Mr. Taxman his cut on the tips I made. Call it the Taxman Tipout. He's still going to come nagging me for it, even though I won't have an hourly wage to hand over to him.

This proposed law is so unfair and depressing and needless that I can't imagine it has a chance of passing. I'm certain it would be wildly unpopular once the servers, bartenders and bussers of the world caught wind of it, so let's be sure to spread the word and lead the movement against Rick Santorum's efforts to rob us of our pay. This is the kind of thing left- and right-leaning bloggers should unite on;
Instapundit is attempting to form a "cross-blogosphere coalition" in terms of the new bankruptcy law legislation, for example.

We have to lead on this issue; if we follow we'll all be jobless, and there will be no more restaurants, only buffets! Once our customers realize they have to get their food and drink their damned selves, they'll be the first to back us up. Spread the word.


Thanks to The Waiter for leading the call.